Join the Silly Squad for the Summer Reading Challenge
There is only one rule: Read what makes you happy! Start the challenge today. “Ready, set… Read!”
The Summer Reading challenge is back! Young readers from across Brizzle are invited to join the Silly Squad – compete with funny hats – for this year’s reading extravaganza!
This year we are going 100% digital and the challenge is starting earlier than usual to keep children reading over the summer, supporting parents and carers. So – dig those funny hats out and join the Silly Squad characters as you start reading online comics and books from summer reading list.
As well as hilarious books, free to read online through Bristol Libraries, We Are Bristol Kids is excited that with The Reading Agency libraries have also lined up events throughout the summer, that you can watch online from home, with fresh microwave popcorn!
This year the Silly Squad are encouraging kids to have fun and just “GET SILLY!” reading anything that makes them happy – whether it be a comic, joke book, poetry, fiction or non-fiction. There are lots of different activities online including competitions, challenges, author interviews, news, and the book sorter – which tells you the names of books you may enjoy reading next.
How to get started, today:
- Join the Silly Squad and pick your funny avatar;
- Discover awesome books to read;
- Play games, earn points and more;
- Unlock badges throughout the challenge.
So, kick-start your summer by starting this year’s Reading Challenge, together with the Silly Squad… “Ready, set… Read!”
Online Activities with Bristol Libraries
It’s really easy for people to join the library online. Visit https://www.bristol.gov.uk/libraries-archives or search Bristol Libraries online, then you can access e-books, clubs, webinars and more!
- Virtual Lego Club – a new online Lego club. A different weekly challenge is posted on the Facebook page on Mondays at 11am. Children (and adults!) are encouraged to build a Lego model and take a photo of it to post on Facebook. The theme for the first week is dinosaurs. https://www.facebook.com/BristolLibraries/
- Children’s Book Quizzes – a short quiz on different children’s books each week, such as Roald Dahl and Harry Potter. These quizzes are posted on the Facebook page every Tuesday at 10am (and the answers posted at 4pm same day). https://www.facebook.com/BristolLibraries/
- Online Story Time – every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons at 2pm. Join us for two picture book stories read by library staff. These story time sessions are perfect for little ones and their families, and are live streamed from the Bristol Library Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BristolLibraries/
- Baby Bounce and Rhyme – every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 11am. These are sing-a-long sessions with your favourite nursery rhymes and songs to join in with at home. Also includes a simple craft idea to make at home. These are also live streamed from the Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/BristolLibraries/
- Online Events – follow the library on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to learn more about competition rules, upcoming live events, borrowing e-books and more! Visit the website for links to social media and much, much more!